8 things about Frost’s Descent24节气之霜降——这8个习俗你都知道吗？ 时间:2018-10-23 单词数:4760
双语 中文 英文
The traditional Chinese lunar calendar divides the year into 24 solar terms. Frost’s Descent, (Chinese: 霜降), the 18th solar term of the year, begins this year on Oct 23 and ends on Nov 6.
Frost’s Descent is the last solar term of autumn, during which time the weather becomes much colder than before and frost begins to appear.
Here are eight things you should know about Frost’s Descent.
1.Frosty autumnFrost consists of white ice crystals of frozen water vapor near the ground. During Frost’s Descent, frost begins to appear. But in the lower reaches of the Yellow River region, frost first appears in late October or early November. As Frost’s Descent comes, the world is filled with the atmosphere of late autumn.
2.Eating persimmonsEating persimmons during Frost’s Descent can help people resist the cold and protect their bones. In the countryside, people believe that their lips will crack if they don’t eat persimmons during this period.
3.Eating applesThe apple is one kind of recommended fruit during Frost’s Descent. There are many sayings about apples’ benefits in China, such as "Eat an apple after meals, even old men can be as strong as young men," just as the Western proverb goes, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Apples can moisten the lungs, quench one’s thirst and help one’s digestion.
4. Eating pearsThe pear is another recommended fruit during Frost’s Descent, which can promote the secretion of body liquids, clear away heat and reduce sputum.
5. Eating duckIt’s a custom to eat duck on the first day of Frost’s Descent in south Fujian province and Taiwan. There is a saying in Fujian which goes, “Even nourishing all year is not as good as nourishing the human body on the first day of Frost’s Descent.” Eating duck is a way for people there to gain weight.
6. Eating chestnutsEating chestnuts during Frost’s Descent is beneficial for one’s health. Chestnuts have a warm nature and sweet flavor, and are good for nourishing the spleen and stomach, invigorating the circulation of blood, relieving coughs and reducing sputum.
7. Eating datesThe date is one of the fruits on the market during Frost’s Descent. Nutritious with a great number of vitamins, dates can nourish the blood, decrease blood pressure, and improve one’s immunity. But eating too many could be harmful. Rotten dates can cause headaches and dizziness or even put people’s lives in danger.
8. Frost’s Descent FestivalPeople in areas such as Daxin county in Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region celebrate the first day of Frost’s Descent. In the Frost’s Descent Festival, the Zhuang people offer sacrifices, dance and sing folk songs. With a history of more than 360 years, the festival is to commemorate Cen Yuyin, a heroine in battles against foreign aggression.
01Baidu in deal with NetEase Cloud Music10.16百度又出手：战略投资网易云音乐
02Rain or Shine, Meghan Markle Has Prince Harry’s Back As He Delivers a Powerful Speech 10.22超甜！哈里王子冒雨演讲王妃在旁为其撑伞
03‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’ Star Chow Yun-fat Plans to Give His Entire Fortune to Charity10.17周润发：一生节俭，却捐出全部财产56亿港元，这才是我们想要的“中国精神”！
04China to launch man-made moons in space10.21我国“人造月亮”拟于2022年上天 亮度可达月光8倍
05Having more books as a kid makes you smarter: study 10.16读书到底有什么用？
06Zhao Liying ties the knot with Feng Shaofeng10.17喜讯！赵丽颖宣布与冯绍峰结婚
07Kim Jong Un appears to have a new Rolls-Royce10.18金正恩新坐骑——奔驰升级为豪华劳斯莱斯
08Yang Kaili: China live-streamer detained for ’insulting’ national anthem 10.18网红女主播侮辱国歌被依法行政拘留5日
09Melania Trump says ’don’t care’ jacket was a message 10.17梅拉尼娅·特朗普“我不在乎”夹克到底是想传递什么信息？
10Tencent ranked as top Chinese brand10.17腾讯成为我国最大品牌